5 Key Benefits of Renewable Energy

 
 
Everyone keeps talking about the importance of renewable energy for the environment. It’s a critical element of sustainability discourse, but is it really as good as it seems?

The short answer is yes. The long one? Well, keep reading!

 

What is Renewable Energy?

 

As its name indicates, it is energy that can be renewed. That is the ability to create energy from unlimited and natural sources that can replenish themselves at a higher rate than consumed.

Unlike fossil fuels—oil, gas, and others—renewable energy sources are abundant and exist everywhere. As such, countries don’t have to rely on a few providers and can generate their own.

 

How Does Renewable Energy Work?

 

There are several renewable energy sources, so the way they work always depends on each case.

Solar energy, for example, comes from sunlight, which provides solar radiation. Solar technology captures sunlight and transforms it into more readily usable energy, such as electricity or thermal storage.

On the other hand, wind energy uses so-called wind turbines—huge devices that use the wind’s force and transform it into kinetic energy. The turbine blades are pushed by the wind, which activates a generator that creates the electricity.

Other types of renewable energy use the force of moving water, hydrogen, geothermal sources, and more.

 

The Top 5 Benefits of Renewable Energy

 

Although everything has a downside, the benefits of using renewable energy are far more than you can imagine.

However, the five core benefits encompass everything else.

 

1. It’s Readily Available

 

Most of humanity’s energy comes from fossil fuels—controlled by approximately 20% of the world’s countries. This means the remaining 80% depend entirely on imports to sustain a significant part of their energy consumption.

On the other hand, at least one renewable energy source is always readily available. Even if a country cannot access marine energy or strong winds, it can always use another option among the many.

 

2. It’s More Affordable

 

Although the upfront cost of investing in the technology required to exploit renewable sources is massive, the costs will always even out as time passes.

The good news is that prices are getting cheaper. According to the United Nations, the cost of creating electricity from solar power decreased by 85% between 2010 and 2020.

Likewise, maintenance and operating costs are low, saving money in the long term.

 

3. It’s Sustainable

 

It’s not a secret that fossil fuels have a negative impact on the environment. They create air pollution, affecting ecosystems in multiple ways, such as turning into acid rain, lowering oxygen levels in the water, and hurting wildlife.

Contrastingly, renewable energy sources do not release harmful toxins into the air, and by using them, we can guarantee a sustainable way to keep our lifestyle and cut emissions without polluting the environment.

 

4. It’s Better for Your Health

 

The effect on our health is intrinsically tied to the aforementioned point. By cutting down the emissions created by the fossil fuel complex, we improve the quality of the air we breathe and reduce the impact of multiple afflictions.

For example, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that 99% of people around the world are breathing polluted air that affects their health negatively, with 13 million of them dying due to environmental causes derived from pollution.

 

5. It’s a Long-Term Investment

 

According to the United Nations, every dollar invested in renewable energy sources creates three times more jobs than if invested in the fossil fuel industry, diversifying the job market and improving the lives of millions.

Likewise, although expensive, long-term use of renewable energy sources will eventually reduce dependence on other companies, reducing the costs associated with import and the many surrounding activities.

The International Renewable Energy Agency estimates that, by 2030, renewable energy will save the world up to $4.2 trillion merely by reducing pollution and climate impact. Not too shabby.

 

Renewable Energy Is The Future

 

Adopting renewable energy sources is essential for building a sustainable future. Technologies like solar and wind power helps reduce our carbon emissions and promotes a healthier environment. The shift to renewable energy is a vital step toward creating a brighter, cleaner future for the coming generations. Let’s make the change today for a greener and more resilient world!